Week Five: Getting Casual and Going On a Rant

Ana and I geek out!!!
Today in Hilladelphia, we're going to get a little casual and deviate from the regular article-analyzing format. First up, a review of the Hillary Clinton organizing event I went to this weekend (guest starring Wendy Davis!). I asked my two-year-old brother what I should write about, and he told me "Batman," but I said I had to write about Hillary Clinton. I asked if he knew who that was, and he said she was the president, so if that's any indication of how the young people of America are feeling, her odds are pretty good.

On Sunday, March 3rd, Hillary for America held an event that was a sort of organizer training for people interested in volunteering for her campaign. Despite being a fairly undecided voter (a term I use loosely, since I'm a month too young to vote in the primary) I went anyway, because I'm mostly just eager to be involved in a campaign, and I was looking for good opportunities. Also Wendy Davis would be there, and I admire her like crazy, to the point where I have a picture of her on my wall (next to Hillary and Ruth Bader Ginsburg). The event started out slow. It was in a dingy event space in the AFL-CIO building at 22nd and Market, and while it was run by several passionate young people, the ice breaker game was cringe-worthy, and it only got worse when a couple of middle-age women got up and started talking about how Bernie Sanders was making empty promises and young people were insane for thinking he could make their problems disappear. As far as convincing millennials to vote for Hillary, that wasn't the best way to approach it. However, the people who were actually working for Hillary encouraged volunteers to, when faced with questions about why Hillary is better than Bernie, simply talk about Hillary. Talking shit about the other candidate won't get you anywhere, and Hillary's accomplishments could shine on their own. Apart from that, they mostly just went over how to successfully work a phone bank (smile while you dial!) and how to canvass (shake their hand) and coming up with an "elevator pitch" based off of your own personal story that inspired your vote for Hillary. Towards the end, Wendy Davis came in to a standing ovation and talked about why she was endorsing Hillary, her "elevator pitch," and her pink running shoes. After she left the stage, Ana and I tip-toed out the back to talk to her before she left, telling her what an inspiration she is and getting a quick picture. When the event was over, we got to talk to a few of the organizers who offered to contact us about fellowship positions on the campaign, and we were invited to the Hillary for Pennsylvania office opening tomorrow. Despite the Bernie-related turn-off at the beginning, the event actually solidified my interest in voting for Hillary. After discussing it with Ana, I think that a few things have become clear.

  1. While I'm not voting for Hillary solely because she is a woman, it is a very important part of it. Bernie has fantastic views, but while we have another man in the White House, women's issues can never take priority, because a man can never really understand them to the same depth. Also, a lot of the points taken up against Hillary are really the result of sexism. 
  2. Much of my dislike for Bernie is because of his supporters, and while it doesn't seem entirely fair to base my dislike off of people who aren't really him, he gains supporters because of what he preaches, so I think they do speak volumes about him. I also think that at the beginning of the campaign, he spoke out against the kind of violent emotion and action that is brewing in his own supporters now, and now that they are on his side, he speaks less about it. I also find that this campaign has, in a sense, corrupted him, which leads me to my next point.
  3. Many people dislike Hillary because she is a "politician," which is stupid for a number of reasons. Of course she's a politician, she's running for elected office, so literally everyone else running is also a politician. Bernie is a politician too, even if he is an outsider to the democratic party. And why on earth is President of the United States the one job for which people want the least qualified candidate? I mean, I get it. Politics is corrupt and it sounds like a good idea to have someone unsullied by the dirty Washington ongoings or whatever, but it's actually a stupid idea and I'm over it.
  4. So many people dislike Hillary for how she has switched her positions on LGBTQ issues, and they argue that back in the day she worked for the young Republicans or whatever. What I have realized, is that I just don't care. People change their opinions and as long as she's on the right side now, I respect it. In fact, I respect that she has the presence of mind to actually look at what she believes and take the initiative to change her mind and switch parties, she's not just a mindless follower, etc.
  5. Hillary has done so many great things. She has her name attached to countless projects, as First Lady, as Secretary of State... While Bernie is known for supporting great things, he doesn't have one project to really call his own. 
 This got really long and unnecessary, so I might have to break it up and put my discussion of the crazy Nevada convention in another post. I know that I'm not changing anyone's mind here on my blog read by one moderate Republican man for a grade, but I really needed to get that off my back. I'm just really excited to get involved with this election and to throw myself into politics, whether that is volunteering with Hillary or at the DNC or what have you. I'm so happy to have finally committed to a candidate! #IStandWithHer

1 comment:

  1. A great read... we may have to find ways to further promote this blog...

    ReplyDelete